Can you believe it's Summer?! What a year it has been! WOW!
I hope you took this historic time to do what you truly needed. If you are like many feeling those Quarantine 15, or maybe you are just ready to feel your best, then let’s clean out a few things and get more focused on what's really important - which is your overall well being.
In my first blog I wanted to chat with you about nutrition and share my best hacks for fat loss!
Why? Because it's the fresh start; you are ready to get off the sugar 🚂 and detox your body from the Quarantine routine. You want to feel less bloated and more energetic, right?
Well, let's make your efforts more productive!
Today I want to share my top tips on how to burn fat more efficiently so you can get great results and stick to your healthy changes.
1. Start your day with a giant glass of warm lemon water to kick start your digestive system and stimulate bowel movement. Then continue drinking lots of filtered water throughout your day. Water is the medium in which most cellular activities take place, including transporting and burning fat. In addition, drinking plenty of calorie-free water makes you feel full and eat less.
Helpful tip: Keep a pitcher of infused water on your desk
2. Go to bed early 🛏! Quality sleep is more important to a fat loss goal than exercising. Poor sleep will increase your appetite and cravings. Poor sleep can also increase your body's ability to store fat. If you didn’t get enough sleep you will feel hungry even if you are full. Poor sleep will decrease your metabolism – not to mention you will have no energy to work out.
Helpful tip: Don’t eat late. Your body won’t be able to fall into a deep sleep if it is working on digesting food. You can also monitor your sleep with a sleep app which helps you to see real data and make changes in your schedule accordingly. I love AutoSleep that I use with my Apple watch.
3. Your first meal of the day should contain only Good Fat, Protein, Fiber and Greens 🌱 Stay away from any carbs and sugar. Even innocent low glycemic berries will elevate your blood sugar. Why is it bad? Your blood sugar will soon drop and you will feel hungry again. By keeping your blood sugar even, you will lose cravings and stay full longer.
Helpful tip: Pre-make egg frittatas with some spinach, avocados, cheese and bacon, or any other ingredients that you enjoy. You can also grab my e-cook book for my favorite fat burning smoothies and bowl recipes to have for your first meal.
4. Eat more healthy fats 🥑 You have to reduce calories to get rid of body fat but you don’t want to cut out healthy fats completely. Fats take longer to break down in your stomach and help control blood-sugar levels, leaving you more satisfied and reducing your cravings. Good fats for every meal include avocados, fatty fish, olives, nuts and seeds, and oils such as olive, flaxseed, and canola.
Helpful tip: Get my e-cook book that has a good fats grocery list + recipes for fat burning smoothies and bowls. All the recipes take less than 5 minutes. Girl, we know you are busy!
5. DO NOT snack 🍿! If you are constantly supplying your body with quick energy from snacking, your body will never go to a fat burning zone. Instead, have 3 healthy satisfying meals a day like I teach you in my cookbook.
Helpful tip: Drink plenty of water and green or herb tea. We often mistake thirst for hunger.
6. Minimize your eating window 🍽 Try to fit all your meals in an 8 hour feeding window a few times a week. Your body is in the fed state for three to five hours after you ate. It is busy digesting and absorbing that meal. It won’t go into a fat-burning state because your insulin levels are high. We enter fasted state 12 hours after our last meal. This is when our systems will utilize our fat storage for the energy.
Helpful tip: Download FREE Easy Guide to Intermittent Fasting HERE
7. Start your dinner with a bone broth or a light green salad. An arugula with lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic and shaved parmesan salad is one of my favorites. You will kill your hunger with a delicious nutritious and low calorie first course and you won’t overeat at dinner.
Helpful tip: Bone broth is easy to make but it requires time. If you are short on time, grocery stores have lots of great options. I love the Roli Roti Butcher’s Organic Bone Broth you can get at Whole Foods or Costco or online at https://butchersbyroliroti.com Look for broth that is thick and gelatin like at room temperature.
8. Start your cardio with a HIIT session 🏃🏼♀️ (sprints) then move into a steady state (like speed walking or jogging). HIIT will deplete your stored glucose quickly, so your body will have to reach into your fat deposits to continue the training.
Helpful tip: One of my favorite HIIT workouts is TABATA: sprint 100% for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, repeat 7 times (total of 8 sprints).
9. Girl, you gotta lift some weights and build lean muscle so you can burn more fat while you are at rest 💪🏻 Lean muscle = high metabolism.
Helpful tip: Lift at least twice a week with your large muscle groups like back, legs, glutes. When you work out your large muscle groups, you burn more calories. Think squats over bicep curls. 😉
10. Pick up an active hobby. The more you move the more fat you will burn.
Helpful tip: Join a hiking club, walking group, dancing studio, tennis club, golf club, gardening club, or volunteer at a dog shelter to walk the dogs.
I hope these tips are helpful. Rudy and I are cheering you on your wellness journey.
Tell us in comments what you can put into practice today and what you are already doing.
We would love to know what you are working on in 2020 and what is your biggest challenge.
As always we would love to see your progress! Please share your wins with us on IG @agelessgirlguide 💃🏼🐕
P.S. AGG just got launched 🚀 and we need your help! If you find this blog helpful, share it with your friends. We will be so grateful. Also, we would love to hear your feedback and what you would love to see here on the blog. Rudy and I will make it happen.